If at any time an author can bring out emotions in a reader, they are a success. If they can draw in a reader to feel engaged in the journey of their new book friends, they earn more respect. If an author can leave a reader feeling intrigued, inspired, and even offer healing, they’ve gained a bibliophile fanatic for life. - Shani K. - The Chronicles of an Abibliophobiac.

Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Review: "The Day My Fart Followed Me Home " by Ben Jackson and Sam Lawrence


(Links below the review!)

There are times when I miss the days I could sit down and read my kids a cute story or two. Mind you I have two teens now and a tween. Those days aren’t totally over though! I’ve picked up a few different silly and fun books lately just for the heck of it. I figured, why not? Heck, I even offered to read them to my kids! Laugh if you must, but just think about it. It’s something to connect you to your kids, no matter their age. If if you pick a book like this one, then you’re guaranteed to share a laugh or two. Laughter is an amazing bonding tool too.

In this super silly and cute book, you are introduced to Timmy and of course, his little fart. Timmy has no idea why this “thing” is following him around. When he stops and asks the thing, it tells him that he is his little fart! I laughed when I read that. It was so unexpected for me. Because I mean I thought he would have a name of some sorts.

As their dialogue continues, Timmy is trying to figure out what to do with him. Little Fart just really wants to be his friend and tries to be helpful and answer his questions. Timmy just doesn’t understand how he can be friends with a fart, he doesn’t want people to smell Little Fart and mess up his life.

This all leads up to a good little message in the end. Just because he’s Little Fart, doesn’t mean he doesn’t have some value so to speak. He doesn’t look the way you’d expect, he doesn’t smell like you’d expect (well maybe!) and he doesn’t sound like you expect. Does Timmy choose to judge Little Fart on outer expectations, or does he accept him? Acceptance is a valuable lesson for kids. I enjoyed the humor behind the lesson.

I read this out loud to my oldest daughter (16) and she laughed as well. She loved the illustrations and the irony of Little Fart following Timmy. We had each other laughing hysterically by the end of it. We discussed the finer points of what did we think they did together every day?

My son and youngest daughter read it by themselves. I could hear their giggles from across the room as they read. They both said the illustrations were really well done, and added to the story. Both thought Little Fart was cute.

My youngest daughter has a developmental delay, so she reads at a significantly slower pace than the average 6th grader. She was able to read this on her own and fairly quickly. That’s a big thing for her, and it made her confidence go up some too. Yet again, another reason why sharing even the most random, silly, short books with your kids is so valuable. Regardless of their age!

Positives:

I think the illustrations were well done, it was cute and quick to the point.

Negatives:

I would have liked it more if it was a little longer and with a little more content.

I give it a 5 out of 5 stars!


Authors Amazon Page: Ben Jackson - Sam Lawrence

Authors GoodReads Page: Ben Jackson - Sam Lawrence

Authors Facebook Fan Page: Ben and Sam

My GoodReads Review HERE

My Amazon Review HERE



No comments:

Post a Comment