If at any time an author can bring out emotions in a reader, they are a success. If they can draw in a reader to feel engaged in the journey of their new book friends, they earn more respect. If an author can leave a reader feeling intrigued, inspired, and even offer healing, they’ve gained a bibliophile fanatic for life. - Shani K. - The Chronicles of an Abibliophobiac.

Friday, July 29, 2016

Review: "Emma's Dance (Dance Series Book 2)" by Leslie Hachtel


(Links after the review!)


You know I’ve read so far 3 of Leslie’s book now and I’ve loved each one! I have been waiting forever for Emma’s book to come out! She and her beloved, Alan are first introduced in the first of the dance series. Which is “The Dream Dancer” and follows the journey of Rowland and Bryce. It’s not necessary to read that one first, however, I would recommend it. You’ll learn about “dream dancing” and the background of their families. I was not surprised at all that I adored Leslie’s story telling abilities! It’s easy to fall in love with the characters she shares with us and their incredible journeys.

Emma, like her sister in law Bryce, have the ability to “dream dance” which is kind of like going through a person's dream state to make an appearance of sorts. It’s hard for me to explain it because I am not capable of doing it the way that Leslie does. I’d break it down to being kind of like having “special” powers or so. It’s quite fascinating!

Emma rarely uses her abilities. Why should she when for so long she’s gotten exactly what she wanted by being a shrew? She learned early on to build massive walls around her to block off anyone from getting too close after enduring the pain and heartache of choices made by loved ones. I can’t say I’d blame her to be honest. It will take a very determined and crafty man to break through enough to get her to feel anything for him. Could Alan be the one to do it? Can Emma feel again? She has hope for the first time in many summers.

Alan has been Rowlands best friend since they were young. Whereas Emma and Rowland endured much heartache, he always felt loved. He never really faced the hardships that eventually the other two had. But he understood his friend well, he did his best to always be there for them. What Emma doesn’t know is Alan has adored her for a long time. He made it his mission to win her over and to break through those walls. In fact, he stated in the first book how he was going to marry her. Will she let him in willingly? Or will he have to make a plan for attack? He has hope that he can make it and she’ll return his love.

I have to say that I absolutely LOVED the fact that Leslie didn’t pick right up where the last book ended. Instead she strategically begins their story at a very critical moment. That moment is their wedding ceremony. Suddenly there is a woman who shows up claiming to be Alan's betrothed. But how can she be when Emma is? It doesn’t make sense at first who she is or the extent of the accusations. It’s literally you’re thrown into the fire so to speak as they work through it.

Carlyn is a blast from Alan's past and her claim to being the child who was promised to Alan way back when is threatening to crumble their world. Emma is furious at Alan for not telling her, she’s angry at herself for loving this man. She digresses a little back into the angry shrew she once was. Thankfully Bryce and Rowland are there to support her through it and remind her of how far she’s come with just the relationship between the three of them. Rowland is also there to support his friend as he knows in his heart Alan would never do anything to hurt anyone he loves. He’s been on the receiving end of that love for so long. He vows to help his friend find out the truth behind the madness. Alan feels helpless but determined to find out every bit of the truth he can, at all costs. This woman can’t be right, can she?

The whole chaotic mess threatens to shatter more than just Alan and Emma’s world. Everyone around them is at risk of something. Whether it be life, money, property, friendships, love or even status. It’s all there piled under their combined past. I did not make the connections between some of the characters pasts and their exact reasons for being there. I had suspicions of course, but when it came to light I was shocked on a few!

The journey that they venture through in this book is such a rollercoaster. I found myself feeling so bad for Emma to getting mad at several different characters. Then I laughed, then I wanted to smack some sense into Alan’s father. The emotions!!!!! Holy granola on a wheat cracker, I was up and down so many times and talking to my kindle. Yup, I’m one of THOSE people. I actually fell asleep reading it. I had a dream that I traveled to find Emma and help her find the truth about Carlyn. I was determined to get clues and then throw down if I had to! When I woke up I laughed at myself, it just figures. But then again, that’s just me.

It’s amazing where they end up and how far they’ve come to literally get it all figured out. I highly recommend both the first one and this one to anyone who loves intrigue, passion, suspense and of course historical romance.
Creative adoration (positives): I’m adamant about learning new things. It’s part of the reason I love reading so much. Beyond the escapism and the love of creativity, I love to learn. I learned so many interesting words this go around. More so than I had from her other books. It’s what gives her storytelling that extra depth and validity to the time period. I just have to figure out now how to introduce those words to my everyday life!

Creative indifference (negatives): The only thing I could think of is, I really, REALLY want to know more about Margaret now! I have a sneaking suspicion that she may have her own book soon? Hey, an abibliophobiac can hope!

Creative appraisal (overall): It is completely and utter intriguing. The characters that Leslie introduces in this book are even more than what I expected. Between their roles, complexity, and attitudes it was a winning mix up that adds so much to the story. I was a fan before I read this one, but I am even more so now. It’s hard for me to not break down each character introduced. If I did that, it’d give it all away. No, instead you should snag this book up and find out for yourself. Trust me, you’ll find yourself muttering to yourself or to your e-reader.

My star rating: 5 out of 5 stars!

Authors Website: Leslie Hachtel

Authors Amazon Page: Leslie Hachtel

Authors GoodReads Page: Leslie Hachtel

Authors Facebook Fan Page: Leslie Hachtel

My GoodReads Review HERE

My Amazon Review *PENDING*



Where can you find me?
*
In my corner of course!
*
Email: bookishnerd4life@gmail.com or superrainpolly@gmail.com
*
Facebook: Shani Kenny
*
*
Twitter: @BookishShani_K

No comments:

Post a Comment