If at any time an author can bring out emotions in a reader, they are a success. If they can draw in a reader to feel engaged in the journey of their new book friends, they earn more respect. If an author can leave a reader feeling intrigued, inspired, and even offer healing, they’ve gained a bibliophile fanatic for life. - Shani K. - The Chronicles of an Abibliophobiac.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Review: "Getting Over Growing Older" by Brigitte Nioche



(Links after the review!)


I admit it, I’m not sure how i feel about getting older. I mean it feels like one day I couldn’t wait to get to my 18th birthday. It’s that moment as teenagers we feel like we are truly “free” and we can officially say we’re adults. But now, it feels like that day came and went by so fast, I don’t know where the last 20 years have gone! At the ripe old age of 38, there are those days where getting out of bed feels like such a chore. Any health issues I have of course contribute to that. But it’s the days where I realize I have to take my 16 year old daughter out for a driving lesson that compounds it. I find myself questioning often where the time went.

If there is anyone who needs to get over growing old, it’s me. I know you’re thinking I’m not old at all, middle aged maybe. Good gravy grandma, I cringed as I wrote that! Ok so let's compromise shall we? I’m not young nor am I old. I’m somewhere in the air space between, floating about. Ok, much better! With that settled, let me go back to my point! I’m struggling with getting older and all that encompasses it. I jumped at the chance to read this book, and welcomed it. I need all the advice I can get.

At first I was a little confused by the way that the introduction bounces around. But once I got part way through, it made sense. I instantly appreciated Brigitte’s sense of humor. Humor can go a long way in anything you read. I think more so when it’s something that is so personal as this touchy subject. She discusses the idea of once someone knows your actual age, they treat you differently. I never really thought of it before then, but it does have some ringing truth to it. How many times have any of us made the assumption that an “elderly” or “senior” person needs an extra bit of help? In reality, perhaps it’s us who need it.

She discusses how age is just a number and similar anecdotes. I had to laugh as it reminded me of my Uncle. He always told us, “Do you know the key to everlasting youth? Well ever lasting immaturity of course!”. It really does go with how Brigitte explores the different ways of handling the age question. One of my favorites is, “I don’t have birthdays anymore. I stopped those years ago.”! How priceless and a spot on retort to the age question. Yes, I’ll be adding that one to my witty repertoire. Her humor makes the reading light hearted when you might just end up feeling more depressed by the age talk.

There are quite a few fun and useful tips throughout the book. Feeling better and younger can be attributed to maybe how you dress on a given day. She shares tips of different ways to dress, style your hair and makeup as well. She shows that what you do on the outside of your aging form, can lighten yourself up and be more accepting of yourself. It’s also beneficial to the way others perceive you. If that is truly something that you are sensitive about, then this is a good thing. I have always been the type of person who doesn’t give two cookies about what others think of my appearance. As I get older, that becomes even more true. But I think the information she shares is beneficial regardless.

I enjoyed also her bits of personal information that she shared. It gave a bit more of a personal touch that makes it a bit more personable and gives great insight on just how she dealt with aging. There are many moments through the book that I understood exactly what she was saying or how she felt. For instance, the dreaded AARP letters! My husband laughed hysterically the first time I got one of those in the mail. It was just days after my 30th birthday. I felt horrible about it. Now, I can laugh about it. Even though the letters still reside in my mailbox frequently, I have a sense of humor about it. It’s good to know that I wasn’t alone in that respect. As always, if you hand me a book with a bit of humor attached and some personable moments, It’s almost guaranteed a win for me.

Positives:
  • This is a great read to have as you try to become comfortable with the aging process.
  • Her quick anecdotes help push the humor level farther, which I appreciated.
  • It’s a personable story to relate to. You don’t feel as though you’re alone.
Negatives:
  • The introduction was a bit messy. It took me a few minutes to understand it, and I re read it.
  • There are a few moments where it feels like the outward appearance is relied upon more than your actions or self talk.
Over all I think the book is a good boost to help with some of the aging struggles.

I give this one 4 out of 5 stars.

Authors Amazon Page: Brigitte Nioche

Authors GoodReads Page: Brigitte Nioche

Authors Facebook Fan Page: Brigitte Nioche

Authors Website/Blog: Brigitte Nioche

My GoodReads Review HERE

My Amazon Review HERE



No comments:

Post a Comment