If at any time an author can bring out emotions in a reader, they are a success. If they can draw in a reader to feel engaged in the journey of their new book friends, they earn more respect. If an author can leave a reader feeling intrigued, inspired, and even offer healing, they’ve gained a bibliophile fanatic for life. - Shani K. - The Chronicles of an Abibliophobiac.

Monday, May 30, 2016

Review: "Tovi the Penguin: goes to the seaside" by Janina Rossiter


(Links below the review!)

I’m a firm believer that in order to appreciate books, we need to read a little bit of everything. For me, yes that even means kid books! My kids are all older, but still enjoy sillier “little kid” books. It’s also helpful for my older daughter, Odie. She’s 16 and she often volunteers for child care duties with her Girl Scout Troop. She can sort through the bunch on my kindle at any time, and pick one out to read to the little ones. Even though she’s not an avid reader like myself, she does love to read to kids. She loves being able to do different voices for them and engage them in some fun.

That was my main reason on picking this particular Tovi book to read. It’s geared more towards the ages of 2-6. It’s a simple picture book that follows the adventure of Tovi and friends through several books. I loved that it was not a one shot idea for a book, and it continues. As any child grows, repetition is key in learning. It also helps if you introduce a particular character they grow to love.

I loved that Tovi and friends were all penguins, going to the beach. I think it goes to show that it doesn’t matter who you are, life is pretty enjoyable! A good lesson as well is being aware of your surroundings. They were so excited to play and enjoy themselves, they missed out on a clue or two that might hinder their day of fun in the sun.

The pictures were all nicely done and weren’t really “flat” so to speak. There is a bit of texture and the bold colors are both great sensory simulators. The book also reads in a landscape view on your eReader.

Even though some of my musings about the book may allude to a broader lesson than what the author intended, they are ones you can take and run with. Janina follows up the book at the end with some cute personal photos a great choice of other books and the very last page that every kid loves to end with. But of course “The End!”!

I give this one 5 out of 5 stars!


Authors Amazon Page: Janina Rossiter 

Authors GoodReads Page: Janina Rossiter 

Authors website: Janina Rossiter 

My GoodReads Review HERE

My Amazon Review HERE

Ways you can contact me:

Email: bookishnerd4life@gmail.com

Facebook: Shani Kenny


Twitter: @BookishShani_K



No comments:

Post a Comment