If at any time an author can bring out emotions in a reader, they are a success. If they can draw in a reader to feel engaged in the journey of their new book friends, they earn more respect. If an author can leave a reader feeling intrigued, inspired, and even offer healing, they’ve gained a bibliophile fanatic for life. - Shani K. - The Chronicles of an Abibliophobiac.

Monday, May 9, 2016

Review: Weekend Immune System by Holly Tierney-Bedord


(Links after the review!)

Yes, I too was a fan of the choose your path/ending books as a kid. I also would always go back after I finished it and check out the other scenarios. You know, changing the choices around to find out “woulda, coulda, shoulda” kind of thing. Excuse the random slang there! I’ve never seen an adult version of this.

When I first saw the book on Amazon, I thought it would be cool. The premise of the book is interesting. Juniper is a woman who hasn’t settled into adulthood as well as her sister thinks should have. Her current boyfriend is a dud and a stoner who has no ambition whatsoever. He frustrates her, but she deals with it. In comes her sister who decides that like always, she must boss her around and bribe her into doing what she wants.

At this point the twists start happening, and you’ve got to make a choice. Does she go to magical door 1 or 2? I like the aspect that you have a choice in her story a bit. But it also drove me nuts! For someone who might analyze the hell out of the option and has a bit of OCD, it can make you coo coo! I say that in all good humor mind you. It was hard to make a decision because you want that HEA (Happily Ever After) for Juniper. But there is always the alternative!

In all honesty, some of the options drove me bonkers. I didn’t understand why one thing would matter over another. I didn’t care for her sister Maura who was a know it all and needs to be in the spotlight. She has the classic “mean girl” attitude. She did make me want to tell her off and in my opinion, anytime an author can bring any emotion out of you as you read, it’s a good thing. I flip flopped a lot on how I felt about Juniper and some of the supporting characters.

If you’re looking for a book that is different than the norm, and has some uniqueness to it, then this is for you.

Positives:

The opportunity to make choices for the character was fun. It’s a reminder of some of the fun reading I had as a kid.

There were some giggle worthy moments. I did like that Juniper said things as they were at times.

Negatives:

Juniper can be flighty and indecisive. Which I know we all are at some point in our lives. I would have liked to see her have stronger and more fulfilling choices than she had.

I think the book would have been better had it had some more behind the story. A more engaging story would have been better.

Overall though, it was interesting and entertaining
3 out of 5 stars

Authors Website: Holly Tierney-Bedord 

Authors Amazon Page: Holly Tierney-Bedord 

Authors GoodReads Page: Holly Tierney-Bedord 

Authors Facebook Fan Page: Holly Tierney-Bedord 

My GoodReads Review HERE

My Amazon Review HERE


No comments:

Post a Comment